20 May 2014

reading wednesday - around the neighbourhood

So it's my blog and I'll change things on a whim if I want to! I am still fine tuning my schedule. What do you think of these topics?

Manic Monday
Tuesday's Tune
Reading Wednesday (cos that non alliterative assonance is so bittersweet!)
Thoughtful Thursday
Foodie Friday

Welcome to a new series of book recommendations! I always appreciate hearing what other kids have been enjoying so I thought I would share what works at our house. First up is Around the Neighbourhood adapted by Sarah L. Thomson, illustrated by Jana Christy.


This book is great as it imagines a babies world getting bigger and bigger from her room to the whole neighbourhood surrounding the house. I've been a grump lately and so singing about a happy laughing mama on page one is rather affirming even if it's more prophetic than accurate. I enjoy the active vocabulary in this book where animals pounce and sniff rather than meow and bark. Each page sees more animals added to the neighbourhood, providing many opportunities for counting! We love the style of illustration and that one animal seems to be doing their own thing in each group. Ada loves to point each one out every time we read it. The angry cat, the chatty duck, the distracted bunny, so many opportunities for a wee chatter.

What's that face?
The music is included at the end of the book. Ada always asks to learn the song. Oh but we know it now! You can learn too! Around the Neighbourhood is an adaptation of a classic folk tune 'Over in the Meadow', you can hear the tune here in this cute animation.

How about you guys? What is high on the reading rotation at your place? Do you have the same converaations each time you reread a book?

Previous recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!