19 April 2012

what do you do all day?


Now that things are coming together (read-I am not worried that I am going crazy, phewf) I can look at this question more fairly. Ada is finally having longer naps in the daytime, waking up happier and ready to play.  

 For about a month Ada would wake after one baby sleep cycle of 40-45 minutes and it was a bit torturous. I would check she was asleep and start something and be almost done when she woke up. Sometimes I would try and get her back to sleep, see here (also torturous), many times I would bundle her into the pram for another walk, sometimes I would pick her up and keep going with what I was doing. A few times that meant holding her while continuing cooking. Now that she is able to hold herself up and reach for everything her watching me cook is kind of fun. A month ago this meant holding her face down along one arm and narrating what I was doing, all the while she is basically looking at the floor and I am trying not to put her face near the oven! Literally up until a week or so ago ‘what I did all day’ was care for Ada and entertain Ada and feed Ada and help Ada to sleep. Honestly. All day. Days when she was happy went by fast and were fun. Days when she was cranky were slow and I *waited* for Cam to get home so he could entertain her too.

So as I was saying she is sleeping longer in the day! Hoorah! I do have some time to myself. The ‘what do you do all day’ question is not as offensive! We do stuff. Meet friends, go to the library or go shopping, read books on the floor, sing songs, do some baby exercise training. Today she is sleeping and I am writing this. Yesterday I cleaned the house and went to the supermarket. I do a lot of washing. It is all very domestic but very satisfying too. I still care for Ada all day but I now have a whole hour to myself. It feels quite luxurious and I have little projects in mind so that I can feel productive. But I shouldn’t feel the need to validate my time, this season is so short, work looms around the corner and she is changing all the time. There is no need to rush.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!