06 October 2011

a new beginning


I really have an urge to write. I just finished a lovely book about a food critic for the NY Times. Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl. I would call it ‘foodie lit’. It had a conversational style, lots of foodie descriptions and recipes too. Good writing always makes me think, “I want to try that”. A bit like how you think you can dance or want to take lessons or just bust moves on your way out of the cinema after seeing Julia Stiles in Save the Last Dance. So here I am, perhaps I will look a little foolish if I find I can’t dance, but it’s so much fun to try.
They say write about what you know. So as yet I don’t ‘know’ anything about being a Mum but I am about to find out! Sooner or later I will no longer be just me and Cam and I won’t be a just a two person we, we will be parents; permanently we will have a baby, we are about to become “Mum and Dad”. This blog is about that adventure, the highs, lows and perhaps the doldrums in between as I become 'stay at home mom' or 'homemaker' or 'domestic goddess' or which ever euphemism is in style.
The other book I just read was The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine (yep, that is two books in the last 7 days people). She goes into detail about the chemical differences between men’s and women’s brain, she tries not to give excuses for women to be crazy at certain times but instead explains what hormones are doing to make us crazy. Louann is in the information is power camp, if we understand what is happening we can rationally respond to our emotions. Baby steps Louann… Let’s not rush things. In any case I am pleased to announce that the hormones surging through me are doing more than taking away my memory and giving me cankles. I also really can’t wait to meet this baby. I was looking forward to having a wee one already, we did plan to get pregnant and boom! I got pregnant first try. People, well teenage girls, have asked me, are you excited? My response is always of course, and I add that I am scared too. It is just so crazy to think of pushing out another human being and then they live with you for 18 years or so. But over the last week I’ve begun to imagine our wee girls face and I am less scared she will look weird and just imagining how cool she will be. I truly can’t wait to meet our new bundle; it is so exciting that she is coming soon! 6-7 weeks away and counting.
This blog partly is also born out of the urge also to go on and on about this new phase of my life. I will still be myself and as entertaining as ever, ahem, I do hope you indulge me and come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!