08 January 2012

training wheels


So far those who have asked me whether I love motherhood are not mothers themselves. It was a hard question to answer truthfully. The first time someone asked I was out for my second social event since birth and it was my first time attempting to interact with strangers. Cam and I were to at a lush Chrissie party. Ada took 1.5 hours to go to sleep making it her most unsettled period to date. (Some of you will have now guessed she isn't a colicky baby and must be pretty darn good and she is and of course I feel very lucky.  However, it was still stressful for me to be out that night, I was tired, a bit overwhelmed and hungry. My initial response was that motherhood was too much of a learning curve at that point to ‘just love it’ but that I loved our wee girl. Then I proceeded to show one of 200 pictures I have on my phone.

Ada is 6 weeks old and every day is different. We find joy in her smallest achievements. Those who are not in baby land would see this as an inordinate amount of joy in the tiniest of moments. Tracking something with her eyes. A burp. Lifting her head of the mat and looking rather chuffed herself with the achievement. Full nappies are a sign of wonderful ingestion and digestion. A big toothless smile and a faint hint of a giggle. She can be very intent and gives us a bit of chatter but her playmat really gets her talking, she coos away at pictures more than us!

I am sure I will love 'motherhood' in time but as yet I still feel like such a beginner. The first 3 weeks were truly feeding and sleeping and burping, that was true for both Ada and I.  Thanks to those who have said Cam and I are doing great, we totally think that is all Ada’s doing, but appreciate the encouragement.


Curly hair!
A few laughs! 
 Cheeks and a power suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!