18 August 2013

laborious labour number two

Well when I think of labour with Ada, I think about how calm we both stayed, how long it lasted, how alert and adorable she was when born and then how much pain I was in long afterwards. Similarly when I think of Olives labour, I think about how long it lasted, how stressful it was during, how alert and adorable she was at birth and how much less pain I am in after.

I went into labour at 40 weeks and 6 days on a Saturday night. All night at 10 minute intervals I had painful but bearable contractions, sitting up in bed, lying down, dozing and repeat. They stopped being regular on Sunday morning but continued on throughout the day. Unfortunately at the end of my pregnancy I had some nerve pain in my hips and pelvis from the pressure of my 9 pounder on my pelvis and this pain was at all time peak during labour. During Sunday I was holed up in a chair as standing and walking was too painful. The worst part for me was the knowledge that the contractions weren't behaving, they were irregular in timing and strength. They became regular again on Sunday night, mostly every 4 or 5 minutes, stronger than the previous night, but still not the length they needed to be for labour to have started in earnest! Each time a strong contraction came, I would hope that finally everything was amping up but again in the morning the contractions were irregular, very painful and disappointing.

My midwife came to see what was happening and I requested a review in the hospital, with the possibility of speeding things up. We went to Middlemore Hospital in the afternoon and by the evening the contractions increased into proper labour while I was getting checked out. Once things really got going the pelvis pain was worse and worse and in I opted for an epidural due of that nerve pain and my lack of sleep and rest over the previous 48 hours. I'm so glad I did! I hadn't planned this but I was tired and over it and I relaxed and was ready to meet Olive once the pain was dealt with. This epidural was even better than the first and I could move my legs enough to change positions. Once fully dilated the contractions stopped, just as they had with Ada. Again I required syntocin to keep labour moving along and again, as with Ada's birth, the syntocin didn't result in long and strong contractions. I made efforts to push but Olive didn't progress very far. The doctors arrive and find that Olive must be face up and plan B (aided delivery where we are), plan C (aided delivery in theatre just in case) and plan D (C-section) are discussed. Finally there are 3 doctors, a nurse and two midwives in the room and I am given the go ahead to birth Olive naturally. The contractions are not the strongest or longest but I manage to move Olive along and she was born by a ventouse at 00.59am on Tuesday 9th of July. Hooray! The active labour phase was much shorter than with Ada and I didn't lose any blood or suffer much undue trauma. Olive is finally here! She is strong and beautiful and bigger than we all expected, 4165g or 9 pounds and 3 ounces!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!