25 January 2014

baby name wizard

How great a name is that for a website? Well for anything!? I love the names we gave our girls. You can refer to me or Cameron as the baby name wizard if you happen to agree. Giving your children a name is one of your most important tasks as a parent, and you often do this on day one. So unprepared. So hopeful. Ada Ann Hockly and her sister Olive Joy Hockly, what ladies these two shall be one day! I also love graphs. Here are links to two graphs that help you visualise how Ada and Olive are old names that are having a resurgence in popularity. The height of the bar shows how many babies were given that name in that year (per million babies). Searching Ava and Olivia gives entirely different results and partly shows how Ada and Olive have their unique feel even though they are only one or two letters different in each case.

You can enter your name too and see how trendy it has been over the last 130 years. This is rather fun and addictive. My name was definitely a fad, the time of babies being called Loren has been and gone, also I was named Loren at the height of it's popularity. I checked a few friends names and found the same thing.

Kudos to the article that looked at lots of names and found interesting trends and things that I discovered this nifty tool on. If you have that link send it to me and I will add it here for others, so interesting!

Have you found anything curious about your name or your babies name? I would love to hear more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!